Thursday, April 24, 2008

NYC

So Sarah's cyber charter school was doing a field trip. We were going to go see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, so me and her and dad decided to go.

I've got to say, I didn't know a landscape could be that HIDEOUS! Not New York, the land around it! It's all just old run down industrial-type buildings, grey, dead looking grass with water seeping through it... there were some wooden electric poles jutting up out of some of the water. One was nearly broken off and the wire between it and the next was slack and sagging into the water. How increadibly UGLY! The buildings were mostly windowed with that nasty green, semi-opaque glass... Bleck.

NYC, on the other hand, was absolutely gorgeous. The sounds, the smells, the sights... So much fun. We kept within, I dunno, a half a block of times square and everything was awesome. But VEEEEEERY expensive. We ate lunch at a tiny bagel shop, though the bagel was too hard for me to eat with my braces. The deli ham we had on the sammiches was delicious though. We eventually headed to the theater to watch the play, only to find that the person with our tickets was late.

After about 15 minutes of being in a raw panick trying to find tickets, eventually someone with a cell phone located the guy in the crowd. We got our things, headed inside, and watched the play. Overall, to be entirely honest I think I liked the tv version better. The acting was better in the play but with tv you get all the neat special effects. and in the play they didn't do the sword fight! What a travesty...

At intermission we went to the bathroom and everything, and dad bought a 4$ soda from one of the MANY bars they had scattered around. The cup was small and packed with ice, but the soda was delicious. Very refreshing.

So after the finale we headed over to where the charter school had arranged for us to eat. There was some panick there over what we were supposed to be doing and where we were suposed to be standing for them to call us in and everything. But in the end it all worked out and we had supper. The cookie theyg ave us for desert was the best thing that I ate ALL DAY. Yum.

We headed back outside and there was MORE panick about where the buses taking us back were, and after that, panick because we didn't have everyone at first. We set off a half hour late.

Oh, and when we were trying to get our tickets, someone tried to call the teachers. One had their cell phone turned off, and the other one had her phone forwarding calls to the one that was turned off. So they were unreachable. xD

Overall I think it is the most HORRIBLY planned field trip I've ever been on in my life, but one of the most memorable.

On the way, and this is gonna sound really soppy, we passed the turn off to go to Newark which is where we pick up Mike when he flies in. I got all sentimental and stuff and my heart started pounding, 'cause usually by the time I see that parallel road I'm about to faint from nervous hyperventhilation. xD Okay, not THAT bad, but still. It's almost enough to make me sick.

I'd write more, because there is more about the trip, but I'm either uninspired or feeling too lazy right now. :/

1 comment:

Nicky said...

I would love to see a broadway show.